You’re down to days now as fatherhood awaits. I am so happy for you both. You are going to be a great dad. Wish I was in the South of France to share this milestone. Do you remember that time I coached you through wedding photography for Michelle’s beautiful Celtic wedding? Well my friend, today I am coaching you through your own “Maternity” photo session. Hurray!!! It’s probably the last thing on Nicola’s mind at 36 weeks pregnant but listen to me, DO IT ANYWAY! I’ll take the blame. So grab your digital SLR camera and your wife, as we’re about to capture this precious journey into motherhood. Maternity shots are more comfortable at 8 months of pregnancy as the belly is sitting high and in full splendour – but I guess its better late than never my friend. You are about to celebrate, document and honour the mother of your first-born child through the power of photography, so let’s begin. By the way, this does involve some nudity….meaning HER not you! 😉
- First of all, get her to do her hair and make-up. Light and natural is always good.
- For an indoor shoot, shoot by the window (about 1.5m away), pull the blinds up. You want soft, defused lighting.
- For an outdoor shoot like the beach, park of forrest, do it early in the morning or later in the afternoon, again for that soft light and some privacy.
- Clear the background of any clutter.
- Set the mood and play music
- Switch your camera to Aperture priority (or portrait mode) and make sure you’re on the smallest F-stop, meaning F2.8, (to give you shallow depth of field). You will also have to bump up your ISO if indoors, don’t use flash. See how your images come up and adjust accordingly.
5 steps to capture her baby bump
1. It’s all about the hands
2. Figure 8 and S Shape Composition
Get mama into a little crop top and comfy pants; leggings, pj pants whatever she’s comfy in, better still if its fitted. You want to create and look for that figure 8 and S shape in her physique to accentuates her baby bump.
Shoulders back, leaning back, leaning to one side, bend at the knees to make that booty pop out as well as the belly.
3. Vanity Fair
Think of Demi Moore and that famous Vanity Fair Maternity Cover she did years ago!
By now mumma bear should be more relaxed and getting into it. So its time to get a little
more revealing. Peel off the layers and try some of these.
If you are thinking about getting adventurous and heading outdoors, get creative.
Think patterns, textures, shapes and contrast. Think Adam and Eve, mother-earth, nature.
5. Get in the shot
Last but not least my friend, put the timer on and get in the shot!
You’ve got a great eye for photographs Nick. Have fun and if you get stuck message me.
Over and out sailor.